Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom With Brooke Baldwin  CNN  May 31, 2019 11:00am-12:01pm PDT

11:00 am
pilots, they're saying what would be retraining for? it is stuff we already do. >> drew griffin. thank you. it is it for me. "newsroom" with brooke baldwin starts right now. hi, there. it is friday. you're watching cnn. i'm brooke baldwin. just an hour to go in the trading day, stocks are falling after president trump upped the ante on threatening tariffs with one of the biggest -- trading partners with the united states, mexico. he said if mexico doesn't stop the flow of migrants the u.s. will slap a 5% tariff on all imports next month. and that number will increase 5% every month until it hits a maximum tariff at 25% in october. top mexican officials swiftly condemned the move. the foreign minister who is on his way to washington said it makes zero economic sense.
11:01 am
while adding that stopping central american migrants is not mexico's job. and mexico president wrote an open letter to president trump and i'll read part of it. quote, social problems are not resolved with tariffs or coercive measures. the statute of liberty is not an empty symbol. and with all due respect and you have the sovereign right to express it, your slogan america first is a fallacy. on capitol hill republican lawmakers are voicing concern about the action and the president's ability to exercise it. at the white house press secretary sarah sanders pushed back on all of this criticism. >> congress should actually fix the laws and we wouldn't have this problem. mexico should engage with us and we wouldn't have to take any additional steps. but at the same time, the number one duty that the president of the united states has it national security and to protect americans. it is a humanitarian and national security crisis and it has to be dealt with. unfortunately the president is the only one that is actually stepping up and putting forward
11:02 am
things to stop it. >> that is the white house in a blunt statement, volkswagen, the world's largest carmaker is leaving no doubt about the impact. telling cnn, quote, we believe that tariffs of this kind are attacks on the u.s. consumer and will result in higher prices and also threaten job growth. so let's start with alison kosik, our cnn business correspondent at the new york stock ex change and how are they faring. >> the automakers down from 3% to 5% and as far as the overall market, two hours before the closing dow and the dow is on track to close below 25,000 for the first time in four months. one trader telling me he thinks it is a drafter, president trump's threat to impose a 5% tariff on all goods coming from mexico. why? because it introduces yet another layer of uncertainty in the financial markets and it messes with the overall economy.
11:03 am
it creates an even bigger downward pressure. as i said, the automaker getting hit head on because all of our auto manufacturers here in the u.s. depend on mexican auto parts to build trucks and cars. deutsche bank thinks if the tariffs go into effect it could add $10 billion in costs just to the auto industry. and guess who will wind up paying all of that? the consumer looking to buy those cars and trucks. and an estimated $1,300 per vehicle and that is not it. consumers would wind up paying more in vehicles. electrical and machinery. did you know mexico is one of the biggest -- we import the most agricultural product from mexico. so get ready, brook, your avocados and mangos could go up in price as well. >> when you said $1,300, that is a massive advantage for everyone else. and appreciate it. two hours in the trading day. how about this, this
11:04 am
announcement as cnn is learning stunning new details about what is actually happening in the facility as long the border. a new government report shares story as they refer to a dangerous overcrowding and unsanitary conditions at an el paso, texas, border patrol facility after a surprisin -- inspection. i'm talking about 900 people at a facility that should only hold 125. and reports of detainees standing on toilets in the cells to make room so they can breathe. pablo sandoval is in el paso. i don't even have words. 900 in a facility that should hold 125? how? >> reporter: you said it. brooke, you said it best. stunning is the word to describe that. however, it shouldn't be that surprising when you really look back at what we've heard from various not only administration officials but also mainly members of the department of homeland security including the secretary himself who testified before congress only about a
11:05 am
week ago. speaking to lawmakers and really sharing the story of these men and women in green who are basically processing the families and that are overwhelmed with the numbers. however, what is important about this report, coming from the oig's office, this is an independent view of what is happening inside. you mentioned one facility, ome a short drive from where we are, the el paso north processing center meant to house about 125 detainees at one point in early may housing up to 900. it is unclear if the numbers are still looking like that. but there was one cell there that was meant to house about 35 people and investigators found it was housing up to 155 individuals, investigators saying that corrective action needs to be taken. and look, what we're hearing from dhs at the end of the report is saying it is what they had been saying especially the last several months, the dhs specifically said at the end the report the speed in which the illegal migrants are transiting through mexico to reach the
11:06 am
southern border in their own words is frustrating the efforts to respond quickly. that being said, brooke, do not be surprised if this oig report is cited by administration officials mainly the white house here as they continue to claim that officials just south of the border in mexico are just not doing enough to stem the flow. brooke? >> we'll come back to that. pablo sandoval. thank you, in el paso. and rebecca lindland is an auto industry expert with 20 years of experience and a former executive analyst for blue book and founder of rebecca drives.com. and great to have you on. this is all about perspective, right? so one analyst said that the fallout from the tariffs could be, quote, the greatest blow to the u.s. auto industry since the great recession. >> right. >> how -- you say nobody wins in the u.s. explain why mexico in particular
11:07 am
is so important to the u.s. auto industry. >> because we have a free trade agreement with them right now. and the entire industry, automotive industry is founded on the parameters of that free trade, that tariff-free exchange ever parts and services. so they make really high labor intensive parts in mexico and south of mexico and then they import them into the u.s. and these products then go into an automobile and an automobile has 30,000 parts and if you are missing something as int regal as a wire harness which today carries all of your electronics and connects your phones and everything, to your vehicle, you can't build the vehicle with that. and you won't be able to employ people. >> but you know people will say, i'll get the auto parts somewhere else. you say what? >> you can't. you can't. we are not a flexible industry. we are not an industry that can just go to a different supplier here or grab a part here.
11:08 am
everything is designated for that particular vehicle. and, you know, this is about jobs and it is about jobs in mexico as much as in the u.s. and so if we give mexico more jobs and better jobs, the idea of immigration goes away. because they don't need to move. they don't need to immigrate. we've given them good jobs. so it is a real benefit to everybody if we utilize mexico in the best possible way. which is what is happening now. that is how we're utilizing them. >> our reporter off the top went through how this would affect the u.s. consumer. we know volkswagen calls the tariffs attacks on u.s. consumers and a job threat and gm and ford said they're costs increased because of trumps 2018 tariffs on steel and aluminum. so now he's adding mexico to the mix. what does that do for -- what do the companies do because of this? >> it is going to make a vehicle more expensive. and we're already looking at a vehicle average new vehicle
11:09 am
costs of over $35,000 a year. and what that is creating is a longer loan term. so people are borrowing for a longer period of time. which is keeping money out of the economy for them to spend on something else. so if you raise the price of a car, they're not going to be able to spend it at a restaurant, or at -- or other retail locations. because more of their money is toward getting their car. so this really will have a very negative ripple effect throughout the economy with the increase in prices. >> rebecca lindland, thank you so much. >> thank you. well move away from this for now. how about this big question today, did kim jong-un execute his top negotiator and imprison another after the failed summit with president trump? we have reaction from secretary of state mike pompeo. and bill barr speaking out for the first time since robert mueller broke his silence on the russia investigation. why barr said he and mueller sparred. and the state of missouri was set to be the first state
11:10 am
without an abortion clinic by tonight but the breaking news is that may not be the case after all. we'll tell you what just happened. you're watching cnn, i'm brooke baldwin. why did jimmy john's make a wine? to complement a sandwich. ♪ the all-new frenchie, a combination of all-natural salami and capicola, hand-sliced provolone and salted butter on a baguette. ♪ but allstate actually helps you drive safely... with drivewise. it lets you know when you go too fast... ...and brake too hard. with feedback to help you drive safer. giving you the power to actually lower your cost. unfortunately, it can't do anything about that. now that you know the truth... are you in good hands?
11:11 am
iour generation has 3 times the student debt our parents did. it's just not right. but you can get your student loans right by refinancing your student loans with sofi. you can get your interest rate right by locking in a fixed low rate today. and you can get your money right ... with sofi. save thousands. fast, easy and all online. you wouldn't accept an incomplete job from any one else. why accept it from your allergy pills? flonase sensimist relieves all your worst symptoms,
11:12 am
including nasal congestion, which most pills don't. and all from a gentle mist you can barely feel. flonase sensimist. tremfya® is for adults with moderate. to severe plaque psoriasis. i'm ready. with tremfya®, you can get clearer. and stay clearer. in fact, most patients who saw 90% clearer skin at 28 weeks stayed clearer through 48 weeks. tremfya® works better than humira® at providing clearer skin, and more patients were symptom free with tremfya®. don't use if you're allergic to tremfya®. tremfya® may lower your ability to fight infections and may increase your risk of infections. before treatment, your doctor should check you for infections and tb. tell your doctor if you have an infection or symptoms or if you had a vaccine or plan to. serious allergic reactions may occur. ask your doctor about tremfya®. tremfya®. because you deserve to stay clearer. janssen wants to help you explore cost support options. the men in black demand only the best. suit. tie. shades. weapon. and ride.
11:13 am
when you're protecting the earth from the scum of the universe, a little extra horsepower never hurts. i'm driving. that... ...really should be here. uhh not this country. experience the performance and refinement of the 2020 lexus rc f in men in black international. experience amazing. play it cool and escape heartburn fast with new tums chewy bites cooling sensation. ♪ tum tum tum tums with new tums chewy bites cooling sensation. if you have moderate to thsevere rheumatoid arthritis, month after month, the clock is ticking on irreversible joint damage. ongoing pain and stiffness are signs of joint erosion. humira can help stop the clock. prescribed for 15 years, humira targets and blocks a source of inflammation that contributes to joint pain and irreversible damage.
11:14 am
humira can lower your ability to fight infections. serious and sometimes fatal infections including tuberculosis, and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. help stop the clock on further irreversible joint damage. talk to your rheumatologist. right here. right now. humira.
11:15 am
breaking news. a judge just issued a ruling to keep the last missouri abortion clinic from closing. it was hours away from being closed. let's go straight to alexander field who is live. tell me more about the decision and is it permanent or no. >> reporter: i just got off the phone with planned parenthood and they are calling this a temporary victory because the license was set to expire tonight and that meant women across the state had no access to abortion whatsoever. they have been spared. that clock was running out. at this point they could continue to operate until june 4th and that is when the next court hearing has been scheduled for. today is the big day because this was the day when that license was set to expire. they went and argued in court just a day ago against the state to talk about the injury this could cause to women across the state if they were not able to continue to operate and a judge heard them and they were arguing for a temporary restraining order and they have a few more days to continue their
11:16 am
operations. to walk this back a little built for our viewers, this is a regulatory fight. a licensing fight happened over the sole remaining abortion clinic in the state. planned parenthood went to court because they were arguing there is a war on abortion in this state and saying the state is trying to regulate abortion out of existence. they are license to operate was not being renew and that meant there are no abortion clinics left and the state said there were health violations and there was an ongoing investigation into medical records. that is why the license had not been remove -- renewed but for now a judge is giving planned parenthood a couple more days before it is heard again in this courtroom. >> alex field, thank you very much. in a new interview, attorney general bill barr lays bear how much he disagreed with special counsel robert mueller in -- critical parts of the mueller report. when mueller asserted there were
11:17 am
ten cases of obstruction of justice against the president the mueller analysis went against that of the department of justice. >> we analyzed the law and the facts and a group of us spent a lot of time doing that. and determined that both as a matter of law, many of the instances would not amount to obstruction. we didn't agree with the legal analysis. a lot of the legal analysis in the report. it did not reflect the views of the department. it was the views of a particular lawyer or lawyers. and so we applied what we thought was the right law. >> julian epstein was the chief counsel for the house judiciary committee and you heard barr, based on everything you read, whose analysis do you think is correct?
11:18 am
>> well, nice to be with you as well, brooke. mueller in the report lays out about a dozen instances in which the president could have obstructed justice. he keys in on four or five areas where he said there is substantial evidence that the president obstructed justice. and that really -- those are involving the effort to either fire mueller or limit the investigation to future interference. as well as the dangling of the pardon to manafort. i think there is a rather compelling case. and i think most legal experts look at it think there is a rather compelling case that there was obstruction of justice, at least in the four or five areas. mueller was quite specific that he didn't reach a determination one way or the other. you can have substantial evidence of obstruction and a prosecutor could decide not to prosecute for a whole bunch of reasons. but i think the weight of opinion in the -- at least in the independent legal community tends to think that at least in four or five areas it would be a pretty juicy case for a
11:19 am
prosecutor if they could proceed with a prosecution. >> got it. let me play one more clip. this is bill barr saying this -- >> i think one of the ironies today is that people are saying that it's president trump that is shredding our institutions. i really see no evidence of that. from my perspective, the idea of resisting a democratically elected president and basically throwing everything at him and, you know, really changing the norms on the grounds that we have to stop this president, that is where the shredding of our norms and our institutions is occurring. >> julian, no evidence of shredding our institutions. i see your smile. how can he say that with a straight face? >> i find it hard. i did a little bit of work with -- when barr was attorney general in the '90s and worked with him and found him to be a stand-up guy. i think it is hard for him to say it with a straight face.
11:20 am
there are not only a dozen examples of potential obstruction that the mueller report in the russia investigation but this president has relentlessly gone after the fbi, the justice department, the intelligence professionals. he even when he was abroad he even questioned the intelligence community finding that russia had interfered. if he done so much with just reading the indictment of the -- the mueller indictment of the russian intelligence, he would know that the indictment spells out in the intelligence community spelled out exactly who in -- who in russia was infiltrating and hacking computers and what servers. there wasn't a question. it was proof 100% certain but he attacked every major institution of law and it is a typical behavior that you see of autocrats, you see that happening in hungary and venezuela and poland and in the philippines. >> and not in the united states.
11:21 am
>> it is a very typical thing you see in autocrats so it is something that should be of concern to the american people. >> you mentioned the either i-word and that is indict. so we've heard from senator elizabeth warren, one of the democratic presidential candidates. she's made news. she's joined congressman eric swalwell in saying they want to eliminate that department of justice policy that a president, a sitting president cannot be indicted. this is what senator warren tweeted. quote, i pledge to nominate on office of legal counsel, this is the olc head who will reverse the watergate era rule that a president cannot be indicted for criminal behavior. the olc purpose is to conduct -- the conduct of the executive branch not act as the president's get out of jail free card. explain to me why -- there must be a reason that this olc policy is there in the first place and can it or should it not be undone? >> i think it will be undone. i think it should be undone. there are two olc policies. office of legal counsel policies
11:22 am
one in the '70s and then another one in 2000 that said you cannot indict a sitting president because you effectively decapitate the executive branch. if the president is having to defend himself in a criminal court, he can't conduct the business of the united states. and that is a constitutional argument that some make. i think it is the wrong argument. >> interesting. >> to elizabeth warren's point about a statute, that wouldn't undo that but the practical matter is the next democrat president will allow an indictment to go forward. look, it is the only way that i think we ensure the president is not above the law. when i worked on the clinton impeachment in the 1990s, it was very clear at that point that impeachment was becoming a political tool, a highly politicized and that the opposite party, the party defending the president and the white house saw it as basically a political tool. so i think it is very unlikely we'll see bipartisan cooperation on any kind of impeachment going
11:23 am
forward so the president isn't held accountability in terms of removal. and others who make the argument about what about prosecuting the president after he leaves office. that is a fairy tale. there is no incoming president that will prosecute a president who is leaving office because it is just too politically divisive -- >> they'll let it lie? >> i'm sorry. >> they'll just let it lie? >> well, incoming president is not going to want to deal with that political baggage. it is very divisive for an incoming president and then the president who is -- the outgoing president who was the subject of the potential prosecution, all of his or her supporters, the entire party, is going to basically go to war with that existing administration. it is not really a practical thing to think that a subsequent administration will prosecute a president from a previous administration. so changing the policy, i think, is the only way to hold the president accountable to make sure he is not above the law. for those that argue you can't
11:24 am
decapitate the executive branch. there is an an easy solution. you could indict a sitting president and hold that indictment under seal and then continue with the prosecution subsequently. and i think that is -- that is the best balance of kind of relative interests here. >> there is one suggestion and i'm sure you are not alone. julian epstein, good to see you. >> thanks, brooke. the summit with president trump failed regarding north korea's kim jong-un and talks have hit a standstill and because of it did kim execute his top negotiator and put another in a labor camp? who the u.s. said has disappeared. thanks for the ride-along, captain! i've never been in one of these before, even though geico has been-
11:25 am
ohhh. ooh ohh here we go, here we go. you got cut off there, what were you saying? oooo. oh no no. maybe that geico has been proudly serving the military for over 75 years? is that what you wanted to say? mhmmm. i have to say, you seemed a lot chattier on tv. geico. proudly serving the military for over 75 years. you ok back there, buddy? s... s...u... s...u...v... these letters used to mean something. letters earned in backwoods, high hills, and steep dunes. but somewhere along the way, suvs became pretenders, not pioneers. but you never forgot the difference, and neither did we. there are many suvs, but there's only one legend. hurry in now to the jeep celebration event and get $500 additional bonus cash on select models.
11:26 am
you get the price match guarantee. so if you find your room at a lower rate, hilton is like...
11:27 am
we're gonna match that rate and give you an extra 25% off. what would travel sites do if you found a different price? that's not my problem, it's your problem. book at hilton.com and get the hilton price match guarantee. it's us. hey.ennials. we all worked hard in school. but then? we got to pay back an obscene amount of student loans. so...buying a house? paying for a wedding? meanwhile our parents paid for school by waiting tables. it's just not right. but refinance your student loans with sofi and you can save thousands. and get your dreams right. fast, easy and all online. get your money right with sofi.
11:28 am
but we all know we're paying too much for it. enter xfinity mobile. america's best lte, with the most wifi hotspots combined for the first time. when you're near an xfinity hotspot you're connected to wifi, saving on data. when you're not, you pay for data one gig at a time. use a little, pay a little. use a lot, just switch to unlimited. it's a new kind of network. call, visit or go to xfinitymobile.com.
11:29 am
secretary of state mike pompeo said he is checking reports that north korea executed its top envoy to the u.s. in the aftermath of the failed hanoi summit. a south korea newspaper is reported that the tom negotiator kim yong chol was killed and then there is another man kim yong chol who is the counter part of secretary mike pompeo and sourced to -- sent to forced labor and he handed the letter from his leader to trump last year. we should point out cnn has not been able to independently verify any of this. this is secretary pom ao responding to this news when asked about it just this morning. >> do you have any confirmation of comment about that? are you concerned about those reports?
11:30 am
>> we've seen the reporting to which you're referring. we're doing our best to check it out. i don't have anything else to add to that today. >> bob baer is a former cia operative and security analyst. so, bob, executing top officials because of a failed summit. is this seriously in the realm of possibility? >> oh, absolutely, brooke. it is par for the course for kim jong-un. he killed his uncle. strapped him to an anti-aircraft gun and blew him apart. he killed his half brother with a weapon of mass destruction in an international airport. this guy is perfectly capable of doing this. and what worries me, brooke, is this the president's -- he likes the guy. what does that say about trump? >> how do you -- if these reports are true, how should trump respond to this? and how do you think he will?
11:31 am
>> well, i mean, the way to do is to simply back off from the north koreans. at this point they're clearly not reliable partners and very dangerous and they need to go back to the old way of dealing with north korea and not pretending of going to the summit, these summits and pretending that something happened. it is just encouraging him and kim jong-un is, like i said, is not a reliable partner. and that country is very dangerous. and we have to do a re-set on this. no doubt about it. >> if you are an american negotiator with this country, what is going to happen, presumably there will be another round because of how president trump views this dictator, when there is another round of talks and if you are sitting there thinking as an american diplomat these are new people to deal with and depending on how it goes, they might not be there
11:32 am
for the next round. >> no. they're afraid to say anything. not a word. they're not going to turn out to be well at the next negotiations because these people know what is in store for them. i would go back to the chinese and the last thing we should be doing now is annoying them but the only country with any influence over north korea is china and a little bit russia. and at this point, we need an alliance against north korea. we can't pretend it is not the art of the deal. that is not the way it works. >> bob baer, thank you. breaking news. in a search for a 4-year-old girl in texas. we are getting word of a jailhouse confession. plus she was the key figure in the supreme court confirmation hearings for clarence thomas and of course she recently spoke about joe biden's roll there as chairman of the committee, but today hear what professor anita hill told graduates.
11:33 am
- i love my grandma. - anncr: as you grow older, your brain naturally begins to change which may cause trouble with recall. - learning from him is great... when i can keep up! - anncr: thankfully, prevagen helps your brain and improves memory. - dad's got all the answers. - anncr: prevagen is now the number-one-selling brain health supplement in drug stores nationwide. - she outsmarts me every single time. - checkmate! you wanna play again? - anncr: prevagen. healthier brain. better life.
11:34 am
...on a john deere 1 series tractor.. because changing your attachments... whether it's for this job... this job... or even this job... should be as easy as... changing your plans. nothing runs like a deere. run with us. search john deere 1 series for more. get your 1 series for just $99 a month at your john deere dealer. ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ applebee's new loaded fajitas. now that's eatin' good in the neighborhood. applebee's new loaded fajitas. did you know you can save money
11:35 am
by using dish soap to clean grease on more than dishes? using multiple cleaners on grease can be expensive, and sometimes ineffective. for better value, tackle grease with dawn ultra. dawn is for more than just dishes. it provides 3x more grease cleaning power per drop, which cuts through tough kitchen messes, pre-treats laundry stains, and even tackles grease build-up on car rims. tackle tough greasy messes around your home, and save money with dawn ultra. brand power. helping you better. when crabe stronger...strong, with new nicorette coated ice mint. layered with flavor... it's the first and only coated nicotine lozenge. for an amazing taste... ...that outlasts your craving. new nicorette ice mint.
11:36 am
can't see what it is yet.re? what is that? that's a blazer? that's a chevy blazer? aww, this is dope. this thing is beautiful. i love the lights. oh man, it's got a mean face on it. it looks like a piece of candy. look at the interior. this is nice. this is my sexy mom car. i would feel like a cool dad. it's just really chic. i love this thing. it's gorgeous. i would pull up in this in a heartbeat. i want one of these. that is sharp. the all-new chevy blazer. speaks for itself. i don't know who they got to design this but give them a cookie and a star. hi, do you have a travel card? we do! the discover it® miles card. earn unlimited 1.5 miles on every purchase, plus we'll match your miles at the end of your first year. you'll match my miles? yeah! mile for mile! and no blackout dates or annual fee. nice! i was thinking about taking a scuba diving trip! i love that. or maybe go surfing... or not. ok. maybe somewhere else. maybe a petting zoo. can't go wrong. can't get eaten. earn miles. we'll match 'em at the end of your first year. plus no annual fee or blackouts. the discover it® miles card.
11:37 am
wgreat tasting, heart-healthys the california walnuts.ever? so simple, so good. get the recipes at walnuts.org. in georgia the list of major film and tv studios considering boycotting production in this state is growing. netflix, and disney and cbs and warner media say they may relocate their projects if the state's new abortion law takes effect january 1st. georgia has become known as the hollywood of the south because of the number of feature films and tv shows made there.
11:38 am
so much so it has garnered the nickname yolly-wood. >> from the eldridge atl, rich, good to see you my friend. let's begin with how much this is helped georgia. the motion picture association said georgia provided 92,000 local jobs and $2.7 billion in direct spending. so with these companies pulling out, how much will that hurt georgia? >> it is huge. i mean, so think about it this way. georgia's top three industries are film and television, convention and agriculture. and so this is the top. we're talking about over $10 billion a year. the last time i checked. and so i think the folks who are supporting this bill, who are mad at, quote/unquote hollywood liberals, who cares if robert
11:39 am
downey jr. doesn't make movies here, but what they fail to think about are the friends and neighbors who live here and work here and as gaffers and as camera people and as makeup artists. >> what about the screenwriter that you were in touch with. what did he say to you? >> i got a text back from a screenwriter since his first plays were produced in atlanta and he is a screenwriter for hallmark and i said what do you want people to know about this and i'll read this to you. he said that we get it. we understand why our colleagues who are not based in the southeast would be disinclined to pursue projects here but there is a moment when southern progressives are up against the folks and if y'all walk away right now you're leaving us to fight alone. we need back-up. >> why do these production companies and these actors think that their threats will lead to change in this law? >> it's a big question. because brian kemp, our current governor, he ran on this issue.
11:40 am
and so that is why -- that momentum helped get this legislation across the finish line at the gold dome. i think you're seeing a lot of conversations happening behind the scenes. disney is one of the most recent studios to say they're now re-evaluating their options in this state. and so think about what is going on behind the scenes. brie larson who was captain marvel for disney, one of the most -- one of the biggest box office successes, if people like brie larson are saying to disney i won't work on the sequel in georgia, if taraji p. hen son and tiffany haddish say to tyler perry we won't go to your studios in georgia to make the next production, that will have significant impact. think about stranger things, ozark, all of shows, the walking dead -- >> so much shows shot in georgia. i don't think people fully appreciate that and just as a fellow georgian, it is just
11:41 am
boosted the state, the economy, people's opportunities so much. it's tough and you understand why some people are doing what they're doing. but i feel you listening to the screenwriters quote. and it is like -- it is just -- and what kemp ran on. so what do you do? >> yeah. >> so we'll see if the companies who are re-evaluating make good on promises to pull out. we'll continue the conversation. rich eldridge, it is wonderful to see you. thank you. just into cnn, a devastating confession, the stepfather of the missing 4-year-old maleah davis just confessed to where he dumped her body. darrenan vance was caring for her while her mother was out of town. he initially told police that three men knocked him unconscious and abducted this little girl but surveillance footage shows she never left the apartment. and he was arrested as a suspect. and now community activists quonel ex said he said this
11:42 am
during a investigation. >> he said what happens to malia was an accident and he confessed to me where he dumped her body and so texas will coordinate those efforts to find her remains. detectives now have -- the information they need but he told me it was an accident. >> now a search team plans to fly to arkansas to try to find her body. the dow checking the markets falling again as we're learning the president's top trade adviser was against the threat to slap new tariffs on mexico. much more on that. also after three and a half hours of grueling competition, this year's scripps national spelling bee ended with not one, not two, but eight winners. we'll talk to a former champ and coach next. hey, who are you?
11:43 am
oh, hey jeff, i'm a car thief... what?! i'm here to steal your car because, well, that's my job. what? what?? what?! (laughing) what?? what?! what?! [crash] what?! haha, it happens. and if you've got cut-rate car insurance, paying for this could feel like getting robbed twice. so get allstate... and be better protected from mayhem... like me. ♪ last year, the department of veteran's affairs partnered with t-mobile for business. with va video connect, powered by t-mobile, vets can speak to their doctors from virtually anywhere, and get the care they deserve, without it counting against their data, so they can return to their most important post. soulmate, best friend, or just dad. the va provides the care, t-mobile provides the coverage. after my ...i wondered,...
11:44 am
is another one around the corner. or could it be different than i thought? i wanted to help protect myself. my doctor recommended eliquis. eliquis is proven to treat and help prevent another dvt or pe blood clot... almost 98 percent of patients on eliquis didn't experience another. ...and eliquis has significantly less major bleeding than the standard treatment. eliquis is fda-approved and has both. don't stop eliquis unless your doctor tells you to. eliquis can cause serious and in rare cases fatal bleeding. don't take eliquis if you have an artificial heart valve or abnormal bleeding. if you had a spinal injection while on eliquis call your doctor right away if you have tingling, numbness, or muscle weakness. while taking eliquis, you may bruise more easily... and it may take longer than usual for bleeding to stop. seek immediate medical care for sudden signs of bleeding, like unusual bruising. eliquis may increase your bleeding risk if you take certain medicines. tell your doctor about all planned medical or dental procedures. what's around the corner could be surprising. ask your doctor about eliquis. they feel like they have to drink a lot of water. patients that i see that complain about dry mouth,
11:45 am
medications seem to be the number one cause for dry mouth. dry mouth can cause increased cavities, bad breath, oral irritation. i like to recommend biotene. biotene has a full array of products that replenishes the moisture in your mouth. biotene definitely works. it makes patients so much happier. you see clear skin. cosentyx can help people with moderate to severe plaque psoriasis find clear skin that can last. don't use if you're allergic to cosentyx. before starting, get checked for tuberculosis. an increased risk of infections and lowered ability to fight them may occur. tell your doctor about an infection or symptoms, if your inflammatory bowel disease symptoms develop or worsen, or if you've had a vaccine or plan to. serious allergic reactions may occur. how sexy are these elbows? ask your dermatologist about cosentyx.
11:46 am
11:47 am
>> l-a-u-t. >> you are correct. >> e-l-a-s -- >> oh, my goodness. incredible ending to this year's scripps national spelling bee. not one or two, but eight winners for the first time ever. and get this. after round 17, the competition had to make the decision to call it quits after 20 rounds because there weren't enough challenging words. and for this group of elite eight, after 3 1/2 hours of grueling competition sharing the
11:48 am
victory even sweeter. >> as a speller, you know how hard everyone else has worked and how much they deserve to win because you're here with everyone else. you're all finalists in the national spelling bee. >> sam raggah is the director of the 2018 documentary breaking the bee. exploring the 20 year trend of the indian american students dominating the spelling bee and scott isaacs is a current coach so welcome to both of you. okay. so exciting. if your a linguist or enjoy the spoken word or the root of words and sam, you called them the slayers of the dictionary but an eight-way tie. should they have kept going? >> yes. i ultimately, i would love to see them go for hours and hours and hours and you just crown one winner after, two or three or four in the morning but that is not what we're here to do or see. and i think to see eight kids
11:49 am
win and holding that trophy altogether with the hands up like that -- >> phenomenal. >> it was phenomenal. it is a magical moment and something that the scripps bee you never know what could happen and that is what we saw last night. >> unexpected. scott, you were once in the kids shoes. we'll throw words on the screen and -- these are the words that the kids aced. i'm not even going to begin to try to say these words. >> sure. >> what do you think that the decision was like with this level of difficulty to call it after 20 rounds? >> i think basically what this came down to was the fact that the knowledge of the spellers was absolutely brilliant. but having said that, the bee can only go on so long before endurance starts to become to be a factor. even more than book knowledge. and tv time. and i think it basically came down to --
11:50 am
>> and lives -- they can't stand up there forever, right. >> they can't. and we saw that. one of the spellers said, do you know what time it is? and it was basically because -- we can't go on much longer. they're knowledge is unimpeachable. it has to be time. >> do you think, for the two of you, but scott, staying with you, do you think the words should be harder. sam told me there is spelling bee shade going around today like the words should have been harder and more words with unknown origin roots. what say you? >> i believe that the words were as difficult as i've sfr seen -- i have ever seen at scripps. and i have seen some bees where the words were more difficult but having said that, think it comes down to are these words appropriate for learning. they become so specialized and so arcaying and you wonder what
11:51 am
are they learning and is it worth it to be able to learn the words that you'll never see, never use, never be exposed to for the rest of your life. so then you start to wonder, is it just a memorization contest? >> yeah. and then to you, sam, on a lot of your film about celebrating indian-american kids who sort of smoke everyone else. why? >> there are a lot of different factors. and in our film, we start in the 1960s. 1965 there is a change of immigration laws. that was allowing highly-educated migrants into the country and eliminated racist quota and that got things started and in 1985 john is the first indian-american to win. the headlines, they were son of migrants wins the scripps national spelling bee from that moment on that told everyone that this community can do it. and then it just continued to
11:52 am
perpetuate with espn hosting it every single year. that is the biggest sports stage. indian-americans dominate the geography bee but that is not on espn. so these kids are on tv with lebron, with serena williams, when you're next to them, you say i want to do that and it just continues. and then you also get into the fact that this is a very tight-knit family community and they know multiple languages. they're with parents and studying and also very academically driven group because that is how their parents came to this country. that is how the parents succeeded and so they want to impart that and all of that comes together as a perfect storm of the last decades with the 12 consecutive years of winners. >> the hours and hours of preparation. i know both of you know all about that. but scott, especially you. i wish i had more time. i have to go. but again, sam's film is "breaking the bee". >> and bee was broken last night. >> it was. >> sam regia and scott isaacs,
11:53 am
thank you. ahead, they could be the oddest couple on capitol hill. why congresswoman alexandria ocasio-cortez and ted cruz are teaming up. plus first on cnn, a surprise inspection leads to stunning images in a border facility for migrants. we'll be right back. etsy is tho find new favorites. the things we hold on to. sold by real people and made for all of life's moments. our belongings don't just show what we care about. they show who we are. shop etsy.com ...to give you the alrprotein you needin ensure max protein... with less of the sugar you don't (grunti)g i'll take that. (cheering) 30 grams of protein and 1 gram of sugar ensure. for strength and energy. hi. i'm misha. and my favorite bar is crunch. ♪ delicious 100% real chocolate embracing the lightness of crispy rice. crunch. the chocolate bar all americans love.
11:54 am
still fresh... ♪ unstopables in-wash scent booster ♪ downy unstopables wearing powerful sunscreen? yes! neutrogena® ultra sheer. unbeatable protection helps prevent early skin aging and skin cancer with a clean feel. the best for your skin. ultra sheer®. neutrogena®. with verizon up, we won luke bryan tickets. it was amazing. so we are walking through the crowd. you know you have your badge and you're just, all you got to do is wave it up. we're like, "okay these are pretty neat seats. i wouldn't mind sitting here." but he's like, "nope, we're still going." they took us all the way to the front. there's an area sealed off just for verizon up members. it made me feel like a celebrity. (vo) the network more people rely on, gives you more. like vip concert tickets on us. and big savings on our best phones when you switch.
11:55 am
that's verizon.
11:56 am
11:57 am
plants capture co2. what if other kinds of plants captured it too? if these industrial plants had technology that captured carbon like trees we could help lower emissions. carbon capture is important technology - and experts agree. that's why we're working on ways to improve it. so plants... can be a little more... like plants. ♪ an atlanta police officer started a program called clippers and cops to mend the
11:58 am
relationship between law enforcement and community to host talks at local barbershops and we look at how detective tyrone dennis went beyond the call of duty. >> the bar per shop packed them in. but when atlanta police department investigator detective tyrone dennis shows up, it is no longer about a shave and a hair cut. >> do i look like i have a gun on? >> no. >> i have a gun on. could i put a gun in here? >> yes. >> do i know him? >> no. >> this is clippers and cops a program started by the detective one year ago in atlanta. >> i reached out to other people i know with former felons and gang members and different things like that and we basically came up with the concept to -- let's talk. >> we're trying to get them a cut. >> this 15-year detective with the gang unit partnered with other police officers to mend gaps between citizen and police and the open conversation and
11:59 am
interaction. they cover a wide variety of topics from politics to sports to current events but the main objective is to create trust and empathy between law enforcement and the community. >> the younger generation of police need to be involved to the extent that the older generation of police is involved. >> that is the goal. the goal is to try to get the officers to let down the window. >> and if he has those twists, he'll have to face what comes at him. >> don't judge me by how i look, judge me by my character. >> that is right. >> as part of today's lesson, the detective explains what to do and not do when stopped by police. >> let your hands be visible. show your fingers. where we could see them. if you can't get to know weapon if i see your weapons. >> the program happens on the third thursday of every month at a different barbershop in the city. >> a barbershop in a black community is a sanctuary that any type of dialogue goes. so we're just trying to piggy
12:00 pm
back off of that and have these same open discussions. >> dealing with people and relationships, it is about communication. you know what i'm saying? straight up. >> the conversation is raw and realistic to what some experience when stopped by police. >> you say you saw this when? >> last year. >> last year. >> last month. >> was this after we saw kids get gunned down? >> that is why i started it. >> but what i'm saying was, how long did it take? it was last year. >> i'm going to cut you off. >> it was last year. >> the whole goal of this is trying to do something different. i want to change policing as we know it. >> detective hopes to take his community policing tactic of clippers and cops nationwide. >> i want to take this model from atlanta but across the country and basically implement it for all police departments. >> nick valencia, cnn, atlanta. you're watching cnn, i'm brooke baldwin. thank you for being here. wall street is taking a nosedive after